Potato farmers have been negotiating with McCain Foods regarding a takeover of the Safries processing plant near Penola. Until now farmers had been transporting their harvested potatoes to McCain’s Ballarat plant 300km […]
A potato chip business owned by one of the country’s biggest potato farmers has been placed into administration. Potato Magic Australia, at Griffith in south-west New South Wales, was established by Paul Rennie, who farms north of the city at Hillston. Administrator PPB Advisory says the Griffith site has suffered a period of financial losses and it’s now trying to find a buyer for the business.
Nyandarua county will benefit from a multimillion-shilling potato project that will involve large-scale production, processing and marketing. The International Potato Center and Deutsche Gesellschaft Internationale will undertake the project. The two firms have a similar one in Nigeria. They will partner with the National Potato Council of Kenya and other stakeholders to implement the project.
As part of its ongoing business strategy to grow the company’s international presence, ConAgra Foods, Inc., announced that it has acquired TaiMei Potato Industry Limited, a potato processor in Shangdu, Inner Mongolia. This acquisition expands ConAgra Foods’ Lamb Weston operations in a market that has growing demand for frozen potato products. Lamb Weston makes a variety of frozen potato, sweet potato and other vegetable products for restaurants, retailers and foodservice operators in more than 100 countries around the world.
Lay’s Classic potato chips are hard to resist, but they have a lot more salt than you might think. In fact, we only taste about 20% of the chip’s salt before swallowing the other 80%. Lay’s parent company PepsiCo is taking this information and applying it to the development of a healthier chip sprinkled with “designer salt”. They’ve been working to uncover the science of the seasoning — which versions dissolve effectively on the tongue and how much contributes to taste — and the result was a powdery salt shaped in a way that still delivers flavor but could reduce chips’ sodium levels by 25%.
McCain Foods and Resson Aerospace of Fredericton are using drone technology for what they hope will be the biggest innovation in farming in decades. The drones are being flown over potato fields to collect information that can help farmers reduce spraying and increase yields. “We put all this data into once container that our super computer can crunch,” said Rishin Behl, the engineer behind the software.
Tyrrells is launching its premium potato crisps brand in Australia after finding hearty appetite for the product from British expats. The UK’s fastest growing hand-cooked premium crisp brand said this overseas growth significantly strengthens Tyrrells’ international footprint, with products now a…
See on Scoop.it – Potato News McDonald’s sells 13 billion servings of fries every year. And the fast food giant has the system for the signature item down to a science. McDonald’s […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato NewsOne of the most shocking statistics about Irish food is the fact that we import 120,000t of potatoes annually. The vast majority of that comes in the […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato News Following the installation of an automated sack packing and robotic palletising line from Pacepacker Services, award-winning potato producer Foden & Abel is poised to launch a […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato News The Frito-Lay chip plant in Kentville, Nova Scotia, celebrated its diamond anniversary this week. The plant makes seven brands of snack food that are sold in […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato NewsA $100 million expansion of McCain Foods USA in Burley — a project expected to create 100 jobs — now is on hold as the company re-evaluates […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato News TASMANIA’S potato growers are relieved to have negotiated an increase in the base price from major processor Simplot for the upcoming season but say costs are […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato News MARS HILL, Maine – One of Maine’s three potato processing companies is planning a $7.5 million expansion. Naturally Potatoes announced Friday that it plans to make improvements […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato News The quest for quality perfection is ongoing and Key Technology’s Marco Azzaretti, the company’s Advanced Systems Product Manager, points out in this article how new technology […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato NewsAlready buoyant sales of frozen jacket potatoes could be further boosted by supermarket expansions into the foodservice sector, the Potato Council has predicted. Brits are increasingly switching […]
See on Scoop.it – Potato NewsPotato farmers in Manitoba have undergone a substantial cut to their contracted acres this year. “We’re seeing a significant decline of acres, which is mostly due to […]